Friday, January 17, 2014

Pumpkin Protein Bites


I love snacks that are readily available for grab-n-go occasions. I typically turn to snacks like granola bars that are made with whole food ingredients and packed with nutrients. This week, I scoured Pinterest for some homemade protein bar recipes. I came across this recipe and absolutely loved it because not only did I already have the ingredients in my home but the recipe was extremely simple.




Here is the recipe:



  • 1 ¾  cups rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
  • 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (gluten free if needed) 
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 2 tablespoons hemp seeds 
  • ¼  teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree (not sweetened)
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
  • 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate (gluten free chocolate if needed) 
  • ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
  • 1/4 cup additional chopped chocolate for drizzle (optional) 



  • First, I mixed the dry ingredients
    I only used 2 scoops of protein powder in my batch. It seemed like a lot of powder to add for my liking.
    I also used flaxseed instead of hemp seed (just because that's what I had at home).

    Then the wet ingredients

    Then I cut up some nuts and dark chocolate
    I ran out of pecans but I had walnuts in my cupboard. Yay! So I substituted with walnuts.

    Mix Well!

     Then roll them into golf-sized balls & place on a cookie tray
    The recipe yields 16 but I ended up with 19 (perhaps I made them too small).
     Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and drizzle with melted dark chocolate, if you so please. Then, it's time to CHOW DOWN!
     I chose not to drizzle them with chocolate (because I was lazy) but I bet they would taste even better with a little more chocolate ;)

    These things tasted great! I'm excited to have them after a good workout or for a quick afternoon snack. Give them a try! I love eating food that I have prepared because I know exactly what I am putting into my body. 

    I hope you enjoy the recipe! Give it a try this weekend and let me know what you think.

    Do you have a favorite snack recipe? I'd love to hear it! Please share. 

    7 comments:

    1. These look delicious - I've been wanting a new recipe to try! What do you do with your left over pumpkin?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Kayla, I typically either use it in muffins, whole grain pancakes or freeze it for another time. I hope you enjoy the recipe--it's so easy to make!

      ReplyDelete
    3. What a great recipe. I need to try it.
      You asked about podcasts. I've acquired my list by referral from friends mostly. The ones I listen to are all free on iTunes.
      Jillian Michaels, This American Life, Another Mother Runner, Marathon Training Academy and Cut the Fat Weight Loss Blog are my favorites right now.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Kim! I'll have to look into those. :)

        Delete
    4. Ashley, where do you find the chia seeds?

      ReplyDelete
    5. Also, do you cook them? If so,what temp and how long? Or do you just mix and eat?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I bought my Chia Seeds at Trader Joes but I'm sure they carry them other places as well. As far as cooking these, no cooking necessary--refrigerate only. Took me about 5 mins to make!

        Delete