Monday, October 7, 2013

Weekend Whereabouts

This weekend was fueled by running-related adventures! I started Saturday morning with a beautiful, early morning run. My training partner Sarah and I hit the country again for the open roads and sunrise. Here are a few gorgeous shots we captured:






The fog was insane and it made the most beautiful skyline!

Sunday, I woke up at an ungodly hour of 4:30am. I somehow managed to convince Sarah to join me in this early morning adventure to volunteer at the Portland Marathon. At the wee hour of 5:00 (and a quick stop to Starbucks for some caffeine), we booked it to North Portland to "man" the mile 8 aid station. We set up tables, cups and gummy bears (our station gave out both water and gummy bears). On this cold morning, Sarah and I offered to take control the gummy bear table (less water splatter and spillage = warmer and happier Ashley and Sarah).

It was an insightful experience to be on the other side of the race. I have a much greater appreciation for volunteers, let me tell you! I loved the ability to get up close and personal with runners, looking each person in the eyes to cheer them on.  Side note---loved that the race bibs could be personalized. Some runners had really funny names on their bibs, while others had their own name on it. It made it fun to yell for an absolute stranger. There were only two unfortunate outcomes from this volunteering experience: #1. We ran out of gummy bears in the first 2 hours, perhaps even before that! We felt absolutely terrible for all runners depending on that for fueling. #2. Because we ran out of gummy bears, Sarah and I decided to dance and scream our little hearts out for each and every runner. The outcome of this was a severe loss of a voice. (I was already sick and I think screaming just absolutely wrecked my vocal cords for the day.) What a great experience and it was so inspiring to see people of all ages and body types running a MARATHON!
Loaded with caffeine and waiting on runners...picture time? Okay!

Setting up shop!
I'm still trying to convince myself that I am capable of a full marathon. I want to do it so badly, I just still believe I need a bit more experience under my belt. Those of you that competed, you are absolutely amazing!

What did you do this weekend? Any great runs or workouts this weekend? Share with me, I'd love to hear about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment