Happy New Year to you!
After a brief break from blogging to repair my site and work on new material, I am proud to say that I am back! Last night my husband and I sat back discussing what a wild and crazy year 2013 was. It was surreal to think about how much we had gone through and even more so to think of how much we have both grown since this time last year. I cannot wait to see what this next year will hold for us. So, I am starting this year with a post about my 2014 goals.
Run Like A Fiend:
- Stronger-- Cross train like a fool! I had so many issues with my hips and knees this year so I really want to improve the strength in my quads and glutes to support those areas. My ultimate goal is to run a marathon this year. If I can get those muscles stronger, I know I can do it. My last race of the year really proved to me that I would not be capable of going further in distance unless I build those muscles the right way. I plan on a strict regime of weight training two-three days a week and adding yoga or pilates into that equation on those days as well (aka--double workout days).
- Better-- I want to be a better runner. And I want to race MORE! This year I don't want to focus on how far I can go but instead, learning how to make smaller goals in shorter races. I was so focused on distance that I forgot how to enjoy shorter distances as well. Mentally, I burnt myself out during training sessions because of this. Participating in shorter distances and creating new goals within those races will make me a better runner.
- Faster-- First, I have to admit something to you...I hate running fast. I really do. I'm going to sound like a baby but...it's hard! It hurts! It's just down right unenjoyable to me. But you know what? This year, I'm adding faster to my list of goals because I want to improve my times. This year I want to beat that god-forsaking 2 hour mark that I just cannot seem to break and I want to focus on time goals for shorter distances like a 5 or 10k. I know I can do this. By training for speed, this will also make me a better and stronger runner! BOOM!!
- Longer--Because I really want to get to marathon-status, I need to challenge my ability to run distance. I plan on much longer weekend runs and to push past my 13 mile limit. It's going to take time out of my day (which is a poor excuse for why I haven't been running longer lately) but it is actually really worth my time to do this. If I truly want to make a marathon happen (maybe the Portland Marathon in October) then I need to make this year count, training-wise.
Feed My Soul
- Taking time to breathe.--All too often I am rushing ALL OF THE TIME. I want to stop worrying about how many things I can check off the "to-do" list and instead, just remember to BREATHE. Life can be crazy, stressful and completely overwhelming, if you forget to breathe, it will pass you by before you know it. I want to focus on slowing things down this year.
- Read more--I want to make time to read more and stress less on social media. I have this on my list every year. I realized this year that part of the reason I never achieve this goal is because I haven't found a balance in my day to make time for it. This year, I will make time.
- Balance--Between a full time job, blogging and training for races, I want to find a balance of how I can achieve all of the important commitments in my life. This will take a lot of planning and preparation to make this happen. I'm committed to doing this, this year.
Blog With Purpose
- Commit to commenting-- I am still new to blogging and am learning proper etiquette, like commenting on other's pages and supporting fellow bloggers. This year, I am determined to comment on at least 2 blogs a day.
- Become business savvy--I want to learn more about how blogging as a business truly works and how I can leverage my content.
- Network like a maniac-- I want to meet new bloggers, attend more conferences and do some guest posts this year. I know that I can learn so much from other bloggers in the community.
- Bring quality content--I want to continue to bring my knowledge, experience and as much information as I can provide to you. *You can help me by commenting on my posts and sending your feedback and questions my way at: SBMRunner@Gmail.com (yes, I have a new email now).
- Spread #MightyProud--This is my own special touch to my blog. Hashtagging your proudest moments have been so fun for me to see. I love seeing your photos so please continue to send them to my email or to use the #mightyproud when submitting them to a social media site. You are inspiring so many with every photo posted!
What are your resolution/goals for 2014?
How do you make sure you achieve the goals you set?
Do you like the new site?