Wednesday, April 2, 2014

{Q&A} Sara from Loving On The Run


Happy Hump Day!

Loving on the Run



Today, I have Sara from Loving On The Run answering questions on my Q&A series. Sara's blog is rockin'! If you aren't following her, you need get your booty over to her site and follow her now! I'm excited for you all to get to know her a bit better today. 
Enjoy!

1.    Tell us a little about yourself and your blog. What inspired you to create a blog?

My name is Sara and I run the blog LovingOnTheRun.com.  Running has always been a huge part of my life because my husband is a sub-elite marathon whose goal is to qualify for the Olympic Trials in 2016 or 2020.  While I’ve been in the support role for quite a while, I started running about 5 years ago.  Running has become not only a passion but also a way of life to me. I have run two marathons in total and have now set out on the goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon, no matter how long that takes me to achieve! My blog documents my running journey as well as my journey as a runner and wife.



2.    When you’re not running, how do you stay active?

I will cross training (spinning, swimming, pool running), take my dog out for a walk or strength training. I used to not put a focus on strength training but have made a goal to make sure I do it at least 2-3 times a week now.

3.     If we took a peek into your gym bag, what would we find?

A LOT! Swim suit, weight lifting gloves, headphones, phone charger, a change of clothes, makeup, shampoo, conditioner and all the other necessities to shower and get ready for work. I am on the go a lot with 3 part time jobs right now.

4.    If you could only run in one shoe for the rest of your life, what would it be?

You are going to make me choose? That’s cruel! ;-) I’d say Nike Lunaracer. Those are my favorite right now, but ask me again in a couple months and I could easily have a different answer for you.

5.    What is your pre-race (or race day) tradition?

On marathon morning I usually will get up and eat a bagel with honey and lots of water. I’ll get dressed, put in my headphones and try to get in my “zone.” I usually will bring some energy chews to take while waiting at the start line so that they kick in about 2-3 miles into the race. I have found I have a weak stomach and combined with the nerves of a race I like to eat pretty plain the night before and the morning of.

6.    If you could run anywhere in the world, where would that be?

The beach. Any beach. I just love the beach!  Though I have always wanted to run in Italy as well. I’ve never been there, but it looks beautiful!


7.    If you could have only wish in your running career be granted, what would that be?

That is pretty easy - to qualify for the Boston Marathon and race it at least once.

8.    What is your worst running experience to date? How did you come back from it?

That is a tough one. I have had a few really tough races, but I don’t look at those at “bad experiences” really only learning experiences.  I’d say the worst thing I’ve dealt with while running was my femoral stress fracture over 8 months ago.  I am just now coming back from that. Injuries are brutal for a runner and that was a long 12-14 week recovery!

9.    What advice do you have for those who are just beginning their interest in running?

1.     Start out slow and work your way into it.
2.     It will be hard at first, but stick with it and I promise it will be worth it!
3.     Find a running buddy or become a part of the running community.
4.     You are stronger than you think! (I used to repeat this to myself a lot during races)

10. What race do you wish of competing in (or) what race has been your favorite to date?

In terms of marathons, I have only run the Chicago Marathon. I ran it in 2011 and 2012. I would love to run the Disney Marathon, Nike Women’s Marathon and one day the Rome Marathon! Just to name a few!

11. (Finish this sentence) “I cannot leave for a run without ____”

My Garmin and my music! I am slave to my Garmin unfortunately. I have been trying to break that habit a bit on slow easy runs. Music is also so helpful to me when I run, especially when the run gets tough!

12. Tell us about a moment where running has changed your life.

I have always struggled feeling confident. My husband and I have been together 9 years and you could ask him how hard it was for the first 4-5 years being with someone who had little to no confidence in herself.  Running has in so many ways made me a more confident woman. Of course there are still times when I struggle with self-doubt, but running gave me a since of accomplishment and confidence I had never known before.

13. Tell us how you stay motivated. What inspires you?

1.     My Goals/Dreams – to some qualifying for the Boston Marathon is something they do a lot, however for me it is my dream.  That is what keeps pushing me every day. Even when I know I am still a long ways away I remind myself of my running goals and dreams.
2.     My husband – He is an amazingly talented runner and to see all that he has accomplished and strives for really motivates me. 
3.     My future – I have no idea what my future holds, but the confidence and positive outlook that running brings me keeps me happy, focused and healthy for the future to come.

14. What aspect of running challenges you the most?

That is the amazing thing to me about running; it’s always a challenge.  Sure we have good days where it seems effortless, but the struggle and difficulty of running at times always keeps me challenged.  I always remember the quote, “nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.” Running is a challenge and I love every minute of it!

15.  What is your go to power song?

This actually changes very often. I always love to update my music playlist and finding new power songs! Right now I’d have to say, “Last One Standing” by Mayday ft. Tech N9ne (warning: explicit) or for those who enjoy country like I do “Lose Control” by Charlie Farley. I also love taking it back old school and “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey has always been on my playlist as well!

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! 


Make sure to check out more of Sara at http://www.LovingOnTheRun.com
And make sure to you stop by her other social media sites, here! 

1 comment:

  1. I already follow Sara on Twitter. She's an amazing individual and inspiration! Thanks for sharing her story! Keep up the awesome work Sara!

    ReplyDelete