Thursday, April 3, 2014

{Q&A} Jess from Just Call Me Janks


Good morning to you! 
This morning, I have Jess from Just Call Me Janks on my Q&A series of posts. I have to tell you, it has been so wonderful chatting with Jess, I feel like we could be great friends (if we didn't live across the country from one another)! I am so happy to have her featured today on my blog and hope that you enjoy getting to know her, just as I did. 

Well, let's get down to business... :) 

1.    Tell us a little about yourself and your blog. What inspired you to create a blog?
I’m Jess, a public relations professional by day and a chemistry teacher’s wife and puppy mom by night. I live in Baltimore, MD (where I was born & raised) and love wine, running, and barre classes. I started Just Call Me Janks a few years ago on a whim after seeing that a high-school classmate of mine had a blog. I thought, I can do that! Almost three years later and I’m still going strong. :)

2.    When you’re not running, how do you stay active?
I love barre classes. I danced from first grade through senior year in high school – taking ballet, modern, pointe and jazz classes. I’m so excited that someone translated that athleticism and balance into ballet-inspired workouts. I also have a newfound respect for yoga. In training for my first half-marathon, stretching is key and yoga challenges me in ways I never thought possible.

3.     If we took a peek into your gym bag, what would we find?
Headphones, deodorant, a towel and probably some errant hair ties and bobby pins.

4.    If you could only run in one shoe for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I’m still figuring that out! I started running in Nike Zoom Elites and loved their breathability. Right now I’m running in Brooks Ghosts 6s and really like them, too.

5.    What is your pre-race (or race day) tradition? 
Banana and PB toast for breakfast, lots of stretching, and a kiss for good luck from my husband!

6.    If you could run anywhere in the world, where would that be? 
Oooh, good question. I’ve always wanted to visit Australia, so I would say on the coast there. Coastal California would be a close second. I just want some pretty scenery and a slight ocean breeze!

7.    If you could have only wish in your running career be granted, what would that be? 
Right now, to make it through my first half-marathon in May with a goal time of 2:05 or less.

8.    What is your worst running experience to date? How did you come back from it? 
Can I have two? My first worst running experience to date was trying to run in the snow and ice this winter. I fell and bit it on the side of a busy road during morning traffic. My second worst experience was coming extremely close to being hit by a car. As a relatively new runner, both of these occurrences were terrifying.  I came back from both by learning from my mistakes and being more cautious and aware of my surroundings.

9.    What advice do you have for those who are just beginning their interest in running?
Don’t worry about speed. That was my first mistake when I tried to start running a few years ago. I would get defeated after burning out from going too fast.  I didn’t enjoy it until I realized that I didn’t need to sprint – going at a pace that’s right for me will get me further and allow me to truly take pleasure in the sport.

I would also recommend training with a local running group. It’s how I restarted my running journey & was a great resource. Plus, you’ll meet other people who have the same interests and hopefully make some friends!

10.  What race do you wish of competing in (or) what race has been your favorite to date?
I would have to say my favorite race would be my most recent one – the Shamrock 5K here in Baltimore. After training all winter it was great to get back on the road and PR in my first race of the year!

11. (Finish this sentence) “I cannot leave for a run without ____”  
The right shoes! I don’t use my running shoes for any other activity, and having the right footwear is critical in preventing injury.

12. Tell us about a moment where running has changed your life. 
Running my first 10K was quite the experience. It was 26 degrees outside but with wind, it felt like 6. I made it through under my goal time and knew that if I could do that, I could do anything. It was a character-building race and began the long thought process toward me registering for my first half this spring.
13. Tell us how you stay motivated. What inspires you?
I’m not going to lie – some days it’s really hard to be motivated. I’m lucky enough to be training now and imagining crossing that finish line is enough to inspire me.  
When I’m not training, my husband, other bloggers, and running friends really help to motivate me. I’m lucky to have people in my life who support this new habit of mine and encourage me to continue.

14. What aspect of running challenges you the most? 
Post-run stretching. I’m horrible at it. I’ve learned to love my foam roller a few quick yoga stretches that aid in my muscle recovery.

15.  What is your go to power song
 I don’t have a signature power song, but right now I’m digging Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker. It’s easy to get caught up in the run - so many things to think about: pace, stride, breathing, posture, cracks in the sidewalk, etc. Having a song that makes me smile and relaxes me has become an important component in my playlist.

Thank you so much for being on the blog today, Jess! 
If you aren't already following Jess, head on over to her site and check her out!  You can access her site here: Just Call Me Janks 



And if you'd like to follow her social media accounts, you can locate them here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment