Sunday, September 29, 2013

Surviving The Rain


Saturday:  Approximately 5 Miles (GPS wasn't working well) 8:30 min/mi
Sunday: 7:30 min/mi pace--20 minutes on treadmill) and Core Workout (Gym)

This weekend I met my friend Sarah at her new house in the country. We ventured out on a wild and crazy country run together through wind, rain and a lot of mud. Here are a few shots from our run:
We took a short cut through some corn fields


My model, Miss Sarah

(Our legs after the run)
With the terrible storms we have been having the last week (and especially this weekend) here in Portland, it doesn't look like we will be having much of a Fall this season. So when the wind is whipping and the rain won't stop, how can you stay comfortable while running outdoors? Here are a few items I like to have in the rainy weather:
Nike Pegasus +30 $100

Nike Dri-Fit Knit Long Sleeve Half Zip $110

Nike Premium Sphere Jacket $135

Dri-Fit Breeze Short Sleeve Shirt $36

Nike Thermal Tights $75
Nike AW84 Adjustable Running Hat $25
(Items above from: Nike.com)

I am a big fan of layering when it's cold and/or raining outside. When there is a downpour of rain outside, I immediately grab these items to protect me from the harsh weather. I choose short sleeved shirts because my upper body gets extremely warm very quickly into my runs. (I often feel overheated with a long sleeved shirt and a jacket.) A jacket that wicks away water is extremely helpful. If it isn't raining too hard, I'll wear something similar to the half zip (shown above) and the lightweight shirt beneath it so that if I get too warm, I can tie it around my waist. The long leggings keep your legs protected and warm while the hat shields your eyes and face for visibility. I once read that it's important to dress for weather 10 degrees cooler than it actually is outside because your body will warm up after the first few minutes of being active outside. Makes sense...so now I must know, what are your go-to outfits for the rainy weather? Is there anything you never leave the house without?

Do you run in the rain or do you choose indoor activities instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment